[Mailman-Users] Big problems with stale lockfiles on large list...

Gergo Soros soros_gergo at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 22:46:49 CEST 2001

> Running Mailman-2.0.1, with Python 1.5.2 on a RedHat 6.2 machine along
> w/Apache-1.3.14 and Sendmail-8.11.0, and am having some serious grief with
> stale lockfiles on one of our lists.  List contains ~60k addresses on it,
> and has constant traffic to the WWW administration pages.  Not high volume
> for sending msgs though (only one or two a day) as its a
> broadcast/announce list.

Graham,

We also experienced similar problems in the past with large lists. We found
that if the admin is accessing the long and slow-loading members admin pages,
and does not wait for the page to complete (e.g. clicks one of the admin links
or hits refresh or stop) the lock will remain. As a temporary solution we have
instructed our admins to wait for all pages to completely load, no stale locks
since then. This is on a Cobalt RaQ4i (Redhat) with Apache 1.3x.
Hope this helps,

Gergo