[Mailman-Users] The best way to search through the archives.

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Thu Apr 26 17:18:07 CEST 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Panagiotis Malakoudis wrote:
> A colleague of mine suggested that we add to all the mailing lists an
> imap account as a member and then use third party web based software to
> searchg through each mailbox. That sounds quite nice and you same all
> the time and space that htdig uses to create the wordlist files. On the
> other hand htdig should be faster.

Few (none that I know of, except for the rarely used Microsoft MCIS
IMAP Server) IMAP servers index the mailboxes for fast searching.
This means that searching over large archives is going to be expensive
(in time and disk activity).  Using an indexing solution such as htdig
is probably a better solution, especially for active lists.

alex