[Mailman-Users] How many messages in an envelope?

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Wed Apr 25 05:20:35 CEST 2001

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > As an example, assume that your list has 1000 users on
> > hotmail.com.  If you are sending messages with 2 recipients then
> > the best that your MTA can do is to batch two hotmail.com
> > recipients together.
>
> Codswhallop.  Intelligent MTAs upon successfully connecting to an MX
> will fork multiple queue runners to that target attempting to
> deliver N parallel streams to the MX until the queue for that MX is
> dry.  Even sendmail (finally) does this.

Yes, but if there are many recipients on the one message then there is
no reason to send many parallel streams to the final server.  The
system can send one stream with all of the recipients, rather then
many identical streams with a couple of recipients each.

It also depends on strongly on which MTA you are using.  I am very
familiar with the Windows 2000 SMTP Server, and not as familiar with
sendmail or postfix (I've used them for many years, but I haven't dug
into them).

alex