[Mailman-Users] How to unsubscribe users in a group?

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Tue Apr 24 01:24:07 CEST 2001

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 10:13:41 -0700
S C Druding <druding at straw.com> wrote:

> Yes, I have an Announcement Only list of thousands - removing the
> Unsubs means doing them one-at-a-time, one per page and it's very,
> very slow going.

I generically refuse to unsubscribe addresses from my lists on the
grounds that I can't do so without invading the members privacy or
exposing myself to being deceived by a fored email without excessive
effort on my part.  So instead I simply reply to unsubscribe
requests with something of the form:

  Sorry, but this is one of those things that is far easier for you
  to do than me, especially given privacy and security concerns.
  To unsubscribe from the list, please got to the beloe URL and
  enter your subscription address at the bottom.  On the next page
  is an option to unsubscribe.  If you have forgotten your password,
  there's also a button there to email it to you.

    <URL here>

  Thanks.

Very rarely I get a complaint from someone who doesn't know what
address they subscribed under.  A little bit of manual mucking about
can usually solve that up to the point they can take over as above
(or I just ask them to wait until the next password reminder).

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu