[Mailman-Users] Install on Verio?

Dan Lowe dan at tangledhelix.com
Wed Apr 18 20:11:33 CEST 2001

Previously, B. van Ouwerkerk said:
> At 11:44 18-4-01 +0100, Patrick O'Beirne wrote:
> >Basic question .. has anybody installed Mailman on a Verio host? If it
> >requires Unix guru skills, please tell me so I don't get in too deep!
>
> I'm not a mailman expert.. but..
>
> If Verio is an ISP and you don't have root access and access to various
> config files (httpd.conf etc) I think you can forget about this.
>
> Perhaps there is a hack.. or an ISP who cooperates..

Verio uses something called "virtual kernel" or something like that.
I forget the exact name that's attached to it.  In any case it creates
many little virtual jailed environments on one physical box.  You can do
some things (like munge your own httpd.conf, your own MTA settings, etc)
but not others (like install any old software you want to).

The short answer is: ask Verio support.

(Note: I work for Verio, but not the web-hosting division)

 -dan

--
If the police arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain
silent?                                           -George Carlin