[Mailman-Users] Removing List-* headers?

Geert Altena geert at arago.utwente.nl
Tue Apr 17 16:49:31 CEST 2001

Quoting Dave Sherohman, <esper at sherohman.org>:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 08:40:24AM -0500, Chris Burch wrote:

[snip]

> > Anyway, I own a private list and my provider just switched to Mailman (yay)
> > but my users hate all those List-* headers. Is there a way to remove or
> > suppress them?
>
> No.  Well, not without changing the Mailman source, anyhow.  Some people
> on the list (including me) are of the opinion that this is a Good Thing
> as the List-* headers are RFC-compliant and are there for a reason and,
> once all the other MLMs start including them and all mail clients start
> treating them properly, the world will be a better place.  Other people
> think it is a Bad Thing because their users have MUAs which display
> any unrecognized headers by default, the MUAs don't recognize List-*
> headers, and the list admins and/or their users want everything to work
> the way it used to instead of upgrading to a smarter MUA or adding List-*
> to the existing MUA's set of ignored headers.

I agree that the MUAs are at fault here also, however, what if those header
were changed to X-<something> headers? Most b0rken MUA would ignore them
then and smart MUA could still make use of them...

0.02 euro
\G.
--
Geert Altena | Geert at arago.utwente.nl | Coffee, black, no sugar
      Finger for PGPkey : Diffie-Hellman 2048/0xC540C550