[Mailman-Users] mail not getting sent to list

Jesse Kornblum jessek at speakeasy.org
Sat Apr 14 20:56:38 CEST 2001

Mike Chambers wrote:

> I set up a test account, and when i email to the account, the email is
logged
> into the archive, but it never gets sent to the list. I also don't
receive
> any email errors.

Stupid question (along the lines of "is it plugged in?"): Is the test
account
subscribed to the e-mail list in question? You can check this by doing:

$ /home/mailman/bin/list_members [listname]

(My apologies for even asking this, but like all tech support calls, you
have
to start with the most basic errors...) :)

> Anyone have any idea what might be going on, or where I should look to
find
> out (i.e. log files, etc). There is nothing in the mailmain/logs/errors
file.

Then perhaps checking that mail can get from your computer to the test
account

$ mail -s "test message" [test-account] < /etc/motd

Check your mail queue to see if there's anything stuck in there

$ mailq

And finally check the mail log itself to see if there's any problems in
there

$ less /var/log/maillog      [for Sendmail, your MTA may be different]

(And one other possible idea: Speakeasy was having some wicked bad
problems
with DNS recently that have seriously delayed mail delivery coming out of
mail.speakeasy.org and mail.speakeasy.net. Maybe it's just held up on
their
end...)

--
- Jesse

  People protest against fur instead of leather because
  it's safer to dump paint on rich women than bikers.