[Mailman-Users] Redirecting bounces?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at beopen.com
Tue Sep 26 18:22:11 CEST 2000

    CVR> And beyond this, the MTA might have it's own addresses you
    CVR> might want to create. For instance, sendmail would use (if
    CVR> defined) owner-listname as the value of the message envelope,
    CVR> and where bounces would go (it users listname-owner if
    CVR> owner-listname isn't defined, I believe, but it's usually a
    CVR> good idea to define it explicitly).

For a long time bin/newlist was spitting out owner-listname
suggestions, but I ripped that out.  I don't remember the details, but
I think it had to do with sendmail compatibility problems.

    CVR> Which remindes me -- Barry, even though it's officially
    CVR> deprecated, I've found it a *very* good idea to use
    CVR> to be obsolete, many of the mail systems out there that make
    CVR> list owners crazy by not following the rules still seem to
    CVR> support it. It's harmless to add, and it adds a layer of
    CVR> backwards compatibility for those sites out there still
    CVR> running ancient or badly managed software... Errors-To ought
    CVR> to be set to listname-owner for Mailman.

Actually, shouldn't that be listname-admin, so Mailman can have a
chance at bounce processing?  Mailman already adds Errors-To pointing
to the -admin address.

-Barry