[Mailman-Users] Redirecting bounces?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at beopen.com
Tue Sep 26 07:38:00 CEST 2000

These questions are probably best asked on mailman-developers, but
I'll answer them here anyway...

    TG> Yes, OK.  But that still doesn't answer my question: What
    TG> address does Mailman expect to receive bounces to in order to
    TG> start bounce processing?  Is it the list address or some other
    TG> address?

There are currently four addresses that every list has, and their
purposes are now documented in the big comment at the top of
cron/qrunner.  For a list called `listname', the addresses are:

listname         - postings to the list
listname-request - passes only through the email command processor
listname-admin   - passes through the bounce processor, but if no bounces
                   are detected, the message is forwarded to the list
                   owners.
listname-owner   - goes directly to the list owners without passing
                   through the bounce processor.

Note: See cron/qrunner for a diagram showing the complete flow of
messages through the system.  Also, I've played with listname-join and
listname-leave addresses, so it's possible something like this will
make it into 2.1.

Cheers,
-Barry