[Mailman-Users] Re: Retrieving moderator password

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Sep 22 06:44:09 CEST 2000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 19:26:03 +0200
Thomas Gramstad <thomas at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> The procedure for creating a new list here is that when I create a
> list I send a message to the computer staff and ask them to create
> the new list.  They create it, and I get a message from Mailman
> that I'm the list-owner and that I already have an admin password
> for Mailman and this admin-password is the same for all my lists.

This is your IS staff making all you passwords the same, not Mailman.

>>> 1. I want him to be a co-moderator of ONE list, not all of them.

>> Give him that list's admin password.

Which given that all your list passwords are the same, means that
anyone possessing that password, which they have to do to be a
moderator for any of your lists, has full access to all your lists.

> So the site password has two functions: it allows you to create or
> change list passwords, and it can also be used itself as a list
> password on any list?

Yes.  The site password is the trump card.  It grants access/control
to everything in Mailman.  Other passwords are more constrained in
their capabilities.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu