[Mailman-Users] users getting mail twice

petro petro at bounty.org
Thu Sep 21 09:58:20 CEST 2000

>Dan is correct, but mailman could, in fact, do something about it.
>
>One thing I've considered is changing mailman so that if it sees
>someone listed explicitly in the To: or CC: lines, it wouldn't also
>send a copy via the list. That probably ought to be configurable,
>but I think it's a reasonable way to get around this kind of issue,
>which is, in fact, a feature, but one which some people don't like.

	This would be decidedly *WRONG* behavior.

	The recipient of the reply would then not know that the
message had been posted to a mailing list, and would either (a)
assume that since it started on the mailing list, it should continue
on the mailing list--leading to the posting of "private" email, or
the recipient of the reply would not know that the message had been
posted publicly, and would reply privately, assuming that was what
the replier wanted, and wouldn't know until later that it was still a
public conversation.

>it's definitely not a bug, but I think the MLM can be made smart
>enough to deal with it.

	There is no way you can make software smart enough to deal
with lazy, stupid, or malignant users.

	It gets even harder to deal with lazy, stupid, or malignant
users using software written by programmers who don't follow
established conventions or RFCs, but that is a completely different
battle.
--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government