[Mailman-Users] Questions from a prosepective user

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Wed Sep 20 17:24:57 CEST 2000

From: "Chuq Von Rospach" <chuqui at plaidworks.com>
> At 3:16 PM -0700 9/19/00, Sarah K. Miller wrote:
> >I read through the FAQ and documentation but couldn't find the
answers to my
> >questions there. Does Mailman allow for blocking HTML and
attachments?

> you need to use an external filter to do this.

http://www.phred.org/~alex/stripmime.pl is an external filter which I've
written to do this.  It will work with most any Unix mailing list
software.  I've been running it on my lists for 8 or 9 months now with
no issues and many happy users.  It strips a MIME message down to have
only the text/plain and text/quoted-printable (which it cleans into
plaintext) parts.  HTML and binaries are stripped, and the resulting
message is not MIME.

Implementation is simple -- just put it in the pipe before mailman in
your /etc/aliases file.  Here is an example:
internet-bob:
"|/usr/local/bin/stripmime.pl|/usr2/local/mailman/mail/wrapper post
internet-bob"

The filter takes MIME as input and spits out plaintext.  It is written
in Perl and fairly simple if you find the need to change it at all.

Other similar filters appear on freshmeat.net occasionally.

alex