[Mailman-Users] Postponing delivery.

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 10:32:12 CEST 2000

zvrba at iskon.hr said:
> My sincere advice: DON'T switch to Mailman. It is beta, and it is
> unusable for production: it can't handle lists with < 100 addresses.
> They are trying to implement their own queuing instead on relying on
> MTA. The MTA interface is buggy. The net result are late messages
> (delayed by several hours),  duplicate messages, tons of errors in
> sendmail logs etc.

Your previous messages have shown you are using programmatic invocation
of sendmail rather than SMTP injection.  I would call this
configuration "courageous"... and it certainly will be heavier on
resource usage than SMTP injection.   Other of your problems on the
list certainly appear to be sendmail misconfiguration or misinvocation.

As for your other points... Mailman is technically beta, however many
people are using it very successfully in production environments for
both large and small lists.

Any MLM needs some form of buffering against the MTA, since otherwise
there is no way to take the MTA out of operational mode (ie on
shutdown) without the risk of lost messages.

The Sendmail method of invocation does appear to have problems... in
general concept as well as implementation.   Personally I would be
happy to see it withdrawn other than as sample code for writing an MTA
specific injector.

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]