[Mailman-Users] Encrypted Mailman Lists

ESP evan at bad-people-of-the-future.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Sep 15 03:48:05 CEST 2000

So, I've spent the last few days hacking out an interesting Mailman
filter for making GnuPG-encrypted Mailman mailing lists.

Users can send email encrypted to the list's public key, and the
filter will unencrypt the message, re-encrypt it to all the list
members' public keys, and then let it get redistributed through normal
Mailman channels.

It's fairly rudimentary and requires a lot of handwork from the
mailing list administrator (like adding all the members' public keys
to the list's keyring), but I think it's a good start so far.

One thing I'm wondering about, though, is if anyone knows of software
for Mailman that does anything similar. I would hate to spend any time
refining this software if someone else has already done it.

OK, that's all. B-)

~ESP

P.S. Anyone know if there's plans to fix the horrendous filter design
for Mailman any time soon? It'd be cool to put hooks into the various
steps on the chain, rather than just having a single filter right at the
beginning. With mmreencrypt, for example, I have to encrypt every
message to every user, which is kind of a privacy violation (other
members can see if you're on the list by seeing if the message is
encrypted to you). It'd be cool to encrypt the message to each member
just as they're going out the door.