[Mailman-Users] Virtual Domains

Leonardo Rochael Almeida lra at insite.com.br
Wed Sep 13 21:20:02 CEST 2000

Speaking of virtual domains, I've been meaning to ask something here on
the list.

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Ron Jarrell wrote:

> At 02:33 PM 9/13/00 -0400, Shane Snedecor wrote:
> >Has any one set up lists for virtual domains, couldn't find anything in
> >the docs on how to do this. Thanks in advance.
>
> Just fill in the field on the admin form for the preferred domain name.

Yes, that works and, provided you set up your web server aliases for each
virtual domain, and you don't have lists with the same name for different
domains, you shall have no problems.

In my case however, we run a massive virtual hosting service, and I wanted
to offer a mailman list service so list name collision between domains is
bound to happen very soon if I use an out of the box mailman installation.
So I was thinking in the lines of placing a mailman installation (maybe
with a different user) for each domain, but using symlinks to the code
directories, so that I can upgrade or change the code in a single place.

I could even have this setup in /etc/skel so that whenever I need to
create a new list domain, I could just type "adduser mailman-newdomain" or
something.

So, what do you guys think, and which directories would be the symlinked
and which would have to be copied?

Regards, Leo