[Mailman-Users] Admin problems with new installation

Shawn Willden second at willden.org
Thu Sep 7 20:50:07 CEST 2000

I just installed the latest version of mailman (Beta 5) on a Mandrake
Linux 7.1 system and I'm having a problem.

I created a test list and if I try to go to the admin page for it I get
the following error:

Traceback:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/home/mailman/scripts/driver", line 96, in run_main
    main()
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 136, in main
    mlist.Save()
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 847, in Save
    self.__save(dict)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 822, in __save
    os.link(fname, fname_last)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted

If I change the owner of lists/test/config.db to nobody (the user under
which the web server runs), this goes away and the admin page works
fine.

However, if I set the owner of the configuration file to nobody, the
list doesn't work and I get mail messages with the same error in them.
Setting the owner of the config database to mailman fixes this problem,
but breaks the admin page.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Shawn.