[Mailman-Users] Umbrella list problem

Leonardo Rochael Almeida lra at insite.com.br
Wed Sep 6 16:37:58 CEST 2000

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Richard Barrett wrote:

> I'm just commissioning Mailman 2.0beta5 and I've got a problem using
> Umbrella lists.
>
> For experimental purposes I've created an list called umbrella whose
> members are two other Mailman lists called test1 and test2.
>
> I've verified that in the General Administrative options for the
> umbrella list the 'Send password reminders to, eg, "-owner" address
> instead of directly to user.' option has 'yes' checked and that the
> value for 'Suffix for use when this list is an umbrella for other
> lists, according to setting of previous "umbrella_list" setting.'
> option is '-owner'
>
> When I send mail to the umbrella list, the list managers of the
> member lists are each required to authorize the posting because the
> 'Message has implicit destination'.
>
> Anybody got an idea of what is going on here and what I've done to
> cause the problem?

The umbrella list seems configured ok, but the two sublists must be
configured to accept mail targeted at the umbrella. two options here,
both involving settins inside "Privacy Options", under "Spam-specific
posting filters":

* set "Must posts have list named in destination (to, cc) field?" to "no"
(not recommended because it will open a huge spam window).

* or under "Spam-specific posting filters", add the umbrella address as
"Alias names (regexps) which qualify as explicit to or cc destination
names for this list."

either one of those should work.

Regards, Leo