[Mailman-Users] Welcome for read-only lists?

Harold Paulson haroldp at sierraweb.com
Tue Sep 5 18:33:35 CEST 2000

>However, the default welcome e-mail message sent out when someone is
>subscribed to the list also contains instructions inviting subscribers
>to post messages to the list.  Bad.  And unless I've overlooked it, I
>don't see a way short of diving into the source code to edit the default
>welcome message instructions.  I am limited to writing a new preface for
>that message.  Still bad.

Don,

There is no easy way to do this, but luckily someone else has already
mucked through the source and posted a patch to make it a little
easier.  Dan Mick has a patch on SourceForge that will let you
duplicate all of the files in templates/ inside the lists/listname/
folder.  Then you can edit each file on a per-list basis.

The patch is a neat work around, but I think this question gets asked
enough for it to be an official Feature Request.  Web sites want
broadcast lists.  It's a VERY common request.

	- H

Harold Paulson                  Sierra Web Design
haroldp at sierraweb.com           http://www.sierraweb.com
VOICE: 775.833.9500             FAX:   810.314.1517