[Mailman-Users] Feature request

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Sat Oct 28 07:42:24 CEST 2000

At 9:40 PM -0700 10/27/00, John W Baxter wrote:
>Chuq is talking about a large collection of lists, some of the
>lists being very large and active.  And almost all are rather visible.

For those wondering, it's www.lists.apple.com. It seems to be
surviving the onslaught of loading a few tens of thousands of
addresses into it and sending them a bunch of email pretty well.

>    --John (Chuq:  have a good weekend.  ;-) )

I'm gonna try. Been a long two weeks doing finish work and final prep.

>John Baxter   jwblist at olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA

heh -- of course, i'd rather be where you are (our family has a place
in Paradise Bay...), if only because it means we'd be able to hit the
Coho tomorrow for a quick run to Victoria...

To keep this on topic, though, today, I replaced an old AIX box iwth
a new Solaris box, and replaced a majordomo server with one based on
Mailman 2.0b6. It runs about 50 lists of up to 10K subscribers, and
we had to keep the old system up and running until the moment of
switchover, so I was limited in my ability to pre-load subscribers.
The entire transfer (minus archives) took just under 12 hours, and
seems to have gone over with minimal glitches. Mailman has worked
wonderfully, even under the load of having 12 hours of pent up mail,
welcome messages sent out to every user when i bulk-subscribed them,
and initial messages sent out to all of the lists. I think that
qualifies as a peak load....

And now, I'm exhausted... But we hit the dates we had to hit, and
it's one less AIX box I have to deal with (hopefully, the last one
dies next week..)

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)