[Mailman-Users] empty archives

Krzysztof Wychowalek kaw at zrodla.most.org.pl
Fri Oct 27 00:14:27 CEST 2000

Hello everybody!
It seems that it is quite common problem - I was browsing the
archives of this list and every month someone is asking similar
question to this one I am going to ask... unfortunatelly I haven't
found any good answer yet.
But I believe you all know what could be wrong. Perhaps something
silly, but it has already droven me crazy.
I moved a site with several lists from Majordomo to Mailman.
Everything is working fine, users are pleased, the only one problem
is a question of archives.
Empty archives....

Whenever I go to a page like:
http://www.mysite/pipermail/list-name/
(e.g. http://www.most.org.pl/pipermail/eko-news/ - this is real)
I have a message "Currently, there are no archives".

I made the following section in my Web server configuration file:

<Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public>
Options FollowSymLinks
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

and I made the "pipermail" directory a symbolic link to
/var/lib/mailman/archives/public

So, when I use the address http://www.mysite/pipermail/list-name/,
it reads files from the /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/list-name .
There are only two files there - one of them is "index.html" with this
message "currently there are no archives", and the second one is
pipermail.pck with some strange contents.

However, all the meesage sent to a list exist in the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/list-name.mbox/list-name.mbox
and if I type such URL in my browser, I have an access to some
raw text data of all messages sent to the list so fat.

But this is not I what I am looking for :-(
I want a real archive, accessible from the info page of every list.

What I did wrong?
Why this "index.html" in my /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/list-
name directory is only a "currently there are no archives" instead of
nice page with real archives?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Krzysztof Wychowalek
ICQ# 34184303