[Mailman-Users] Re: Newbie install woes

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Oct 26 07:32:53 CEST 2000

At 1:21 AM -0400 10/26/00, Bob Puff at NLE wrote:

>One thing I noticed - when I send a message out, it takes maybe 5-10
>seconds before it comes back to me.  My server isn't loaded at all.
>Is this typical?  My majordomo lists come back immediately.

Not unusual -- mailman uses a queue and a queue runner that runs once
a minute out of cron. So your message will sit until the queue runner
processes it.

Majordomo runs things directly out of the alias file, so it's faster
-- but if 100 messages hit your server at once, majordomo will drive
the server to its knees, while mailman will sequentially process
them. So majordomo will be faster in the trivially easy cases, and
mailman will scale and keep your system from barfing under heavy load
conditions...

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)