[Mailman-Users] Hanging python cgi scripts on b6

Michael Brennen mbrennen at fni.com
Tue Oct 10 19:43:55 CEST 2000

I started by cleaning the locks directory, which did have some files
in it.  After starting over, I got a straightforward error, which I
had overloooked in the general confusion of setting this up for the
first time.

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 96, in run_main
    main()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 143, in main
    mlist.Save()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 842, in Save
    self.__save(dict)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 818, in __save
    os.link(fname, fname_last)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted

I upgraded python to 2.0c1, rebuilt mailman, and it still fails with
this error.  FWIW check_perms still runs cleanly, but this looks to
me like an ownership/permissions problems.  Again, I am building
with the following options:

./configure \
        --with-cgi-gid=nobody \
        --with-mail-gid=mailman \
        --prefix=/usr/local/mailman \
        --exec-prefix=/usr/local/mailman

Could it be an apache / cgi su problem?  Is it necessary to run
suexec with apache?

   -- Michael