[Mailman-Users] Monthly reminders harmful

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Oct 3 19:17:28 CEST 2000

At 12:16 PM -0400 10/3/00, John A. Martin wrote:

>I am being told that monthly reminders will drive mailing list
>subscribers away.
>
>Is there hard evidence or well informed opinion on this?
>
>Does it depend upon the nature of the mailing list or other factors?

Yes, it depends on the list and its audience, but...

No, I don't know of any real hard evidence (I'd really love to study
this stuff some decade and GET hard evidence), but in my experience
running lists, the only people "driven away" aren't really interested
in being there anyway, and the numbers are pretty tiny.

Unless you really care about keeping around folks who don't care if
they're there or not, I wouldn't worry about it. All the monthyl
reminder really does in this case, unless it's really, really
obnoxious in some way, is act as a "gee, I meant to unsubscribe that
list..." reminder.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.