Fw: [Mailman-Users] Re: The Password Feature.

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Oct 3 01:01:10 CEST 2000

At 6:25 PM -0400 10/2/00, Gary Wilson wrote:

>I am not threatening. The developers may want to know why users are leaving.
>They probably care.

they care, but look at it from the other side. People who work as
volunteers on ANY project get a lot of "I want this fixed, and you
have to do it" stuff. It's not just open source, it's not
programming, it's any volunteer organization. Lots of chiefs, few
indians.

So anyone involved in these things tends to both get a thick skin,
and also a little sensitive, when they run into things that can be
interpreted that way. Whether or not it's intended that way.

it's easy to be misinterpreted on the net, since so many
communication cues are missing or muddled (that's been a long, long
research area of mine, trying to understand how to deal with the
limitations of the online world). You need to be careful to frame
what you say properly, and understanding when it's not....

And... We're *all* developers of mailman, really. Some are just more
active than others.

>Most open source software developers I've worked with like to get feedback.

Yes, but not all feedback is created equal. It helps to frame things
in constructive ways, and whether it's intended or not, "do this or
I'm leaving" isn't really constructive. It *does* come across as
threatening, although to be honest, my response was "and I care for
what reason?" -- because the other nice thing about open source is
that a given software package doesn't have to pretend to be
everything for everyone. Rather than try to solve every problem with
mediocrity, mailman can solve a certain set of problems exceptionally
well, and if it doesn't solve your set of problems, there are other
options. Or you can write one! The joys of no monopolies, no?

>Your comments indicate to me that at best your experience with mail lists is
>limited.

well, mine goes back 20 years, and I currently have a number of MLM's
that are 100% my code in production. And I reacted the same way,
Gary. I just dealt with it differently. I think what you said
probably wasn't what you intended, but I don't think the
interpretation was too out of line.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.