[Mailman-Users] Re: The Password Feature.

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Mon Oct 2 23:52:04 CEST 2000

At 2:33 PM -0700 10/2/00, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
>With passwords, you can:
>read list mail on the web
>change your configuration
>subscribe/unsubcribe
>
>Without passwords, you can:
>not access the list when you're away from your mail
>hassle the list admin endlessly for check-box changes.
>
>Where's the advantage, exactly?

sure you can. We're not talking about doing away with the
functionality, but changing it to make it easier. For instance,
instead of requiring users to maintain passwords, have them requiest
an email that has a URL in it that when you go to the URL lodges an
authentification cookie for those things. That's a LOT nicer than
dinking with passwords.

There are some functions where passwords simply aren't necessary, but
are currently required (for instance, unsubs). And I think the
biggest problem with passwords is requiring users to deal with them
when they don't need to. For instance simply ignore passwords until
you hit a function that needs it, then send the user a password for
the operation as a validation. One-time passwords would be a lot more
flexible and easier on the user, for instance, especially if you have
the option of picking one up good for 24 hours that cna be used with
email commands and/or to set an auth cookie...

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.