[Mailman-Users] Re: cleartext passwords

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Mon Oct 2 22:14:53 CEST 2000

At 1:03 PM -0700 10/2/00, J C Lawrence wrote:
>As to admin help, I don't
>believe that a list server should encourage traffic to the list
>owner, or even make it ever so slightly easier.

Agreed, but -- there's a practical tradeoff here. Lots of things
people want, and finite development resources. I think NOT
implementing a feature that could take a couple of weeks or longer to
implement and putting that time into some other, higher-priority
feature is a good idea, if the tradeoff is one or two requests a
month to the list admin.

>My standard and rote policy is to always refuse all requests for
>help from me as the list owner.  I will not unsubscribe anyone, or
>change their list options for them.  I answer questions and point to
>things they can do for themselves.  I will point them at the list
>pages, and help them understand what they need to do, and that's
>about it.

I somewhat do the same, only I evaluate requests on a case by case
basis, and handle things that make sense to handle. I don't "never"
do anything.

And again, there's a tradeoff. I'd rather generate a few messages to
an admin than spend weeks implementing a feature that'll only be used
by 1% of the users. Soemtimes the time it takes to implement a
feature just doesn't make snse.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.