[Mailman-Users] Re: cleartext passwords

Gary Wilson wilsong at sergievsky.cpmc.columbia.edu
Mon Oct 2 21:25:22 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Wilder" <dan at ssc.com>
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: cleartext passwords

> Now if there were a way (well maybe there is by now, please pardon
> the noise if so) to turn off password reminders.  I hate to take
> up internet bandwidth, and annoy our users, with several tens of
> thousands of emails per month that nobody's going to make any use
> of whatsoever.

I wish there were a way to turn off passwords altogether. But there's not.
And its not an option in beta6. Since there has been no comment on this
subject by the primary developers, I think that you should assume that it
won't be an option in version 2.0.

I think that you'll have to start looking for another listserver program. I
know that I will have to if the passwords can't be turned off. I have a
server with something like 10 lists, and the person responsible for
administering every one of those lists is complaining about the extra
administrative hassles that are imposed on them because users can't change
things without a password.

I wish one of the Mailman developers would make it clear whether or not
passwords will be made optional, and if so when it will be implemented.

Gary