[Mailman-Users] Re: broadcast only

Harold Paulson haroldp at sierraweb.com
Wed Nov 29 17:41:14 CET 2000

>Well, I guess I don't see the need for a mailing-list manager for
>such things, because it seems like they're nearly-always a
>"broadcast-only, you are subscribed because you're someone I've
>been given the right to broadcast to" list, for which normal
>aliases work *very* well.

Very Large Broadcast Lists are becoming more and more common.  Every
web site I manage wants to add a "Sign up to stay updated about our
widgets" form to their site, and their users genuinely want this sort
of information.  A simple alias does *not* work very well when you
have 80k subscribers.  Mailman excels at managing bounces and letting
subscribers manage their own subscription.  I have to chime in as
someone who would like to see Mailman become more broadcast list
friendly.

	- H

Harold Paulson                  Sierra Web Design
haroldp at sierraweb.com           http://www.sierraweb.com
VOICE: 775.833.9500             FAX:   810.314.1517