[Mailman-Users] Re: broadcast only

Darron Froese darron at javelindigital.com
Wed Nov 29 03:10:48 CET 2000

On 11/28/00 6:53 PM, "David" <david at kenpro.com.au> wrote:

>> 1. Turn off the archiving feature.
>> 2. Make *only* the list administrators be able to post to the list - making
>> it essentially a broadcast only list.
>>
>> These can be done from within the administration interface.
>
> Are you referring to the "privacy" section? or is there somewhere else?

You betcha. I don't know of another place other than in the privacy section.

> As far as I can see, you can only force admin. approval, which means you
> could easily finish up with a lot of bogus posts to reject. Is there any
> way to bounce non-admin. posts completely? I cant see one.

Yes that is correct. I *don't* know of a way to reject any non-admin posts
right out of hand. That's the only solution that I can find in the web admin
and from searching the list archives manually.

It's a bit of a pain in the ass for "broadcast only" lists.

For example: If you look at the mail you get when you sign up for the
Mailman-announce list - it says this:

> To post to this list, send your email to:
>
> mailman-announce at python.org

At the web page for that list you are told that:

> This mailing list is a read-only list for receiving announcements of releases
> and other news for Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager.

User: "Can I send email to this list or can't I? Can others?"

It's a little bit of mental discord that I'm hoping to find a way around
because I just don't want to have to deal with people trying to send
messages and have to deal with them.

I would *love* to have an option to click "Announce Only" list and when the
user gets the welcome message it's *clearly* noted that it's:

1. Not a list they or others (other than the authorized admins/company/etc.)
can send messages to.
2. Somehow indicates the frequency that they will receive messages
(customizable to each list).

I am going to have a couple of discussion lists and a bunch of broadcast
only lists (no, it's not spam) and this is one of the only annoyances I've
found with Mailman so far that I haven't been able to completely work
around.

Anyone else worked around this?
--
darron froese