[Mailman-Users] Huge duplication of posts

Shane Wegner shane at cm.nu
Tue Nov 21 23:05:50 CET 2000

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 11:17:12AM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     SW> Does mailman not check the message ids to ensure that posts
>     SW> aren't posted again?
>
> No, Mailman only checks the article numbers coming from the nntpd.  If
> you switch ISPs or they suddenly renumber all their articles, you can
> potentially get resends.  This will happen if the article numbers are
> higher than the current high-water mark.  If they're lower for some
> reason, you'll just stop getting messages until you reach the hwm.
>
> It'd be nice if they told you this, eh?  If they warn you, you can go
> into the News/Mail gateway section of the admin pages and click on
> `catchup', which resets the hwm to the last article number on the
> server.

Hmm looks like they renumbered alright.  Is this a common
occurence for a large NNTP server.  If so, is there
anything I can do?  I would think something as simple as
running the list traffic through formail with an msgid
cache would do it but I am no python programmer.

Thanks for your help.

Shane

Shane Wegner: shane at cm.nu
              http://www.cm.nu/~shane/