[Mailman-Users] Install Problem

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Sat Nov 18 00:54:12 CET 2000

> I just installed Mailman 2.0rc3 and when I went to the /mailman/ url for my
> site, it said Forbidden.  This is the line from the Apache error log:
>
> [Fri Nov 17 14:42:42 2000] [error] [client XX.XX.X.XXX] attempt to invoke
> direct
> ory as script: /home/mailman/cgi-bin
>
> What does that mean?

I'm not certain, but did you do this?  (from INSTALL):

    - Configure your web server to give $prefix/cgi-bin permission to
      run CGI scripts.  You probably need to be root to do this.

      The line you should add might look something like the following
      (with the real absolute directory substituted for $prefix, of
      course):

          Exec          /mailman/*      $prefix/cgi-bin/*
      or:
          ScriptAlias   /mailman/       $prefix/cgi-bin/

      Consult your web server's documentation for details.