[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Announcing Mailman 2.0 release candidate 2

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Nov 14 06:45:25 CET 2000

At 12:16 AM -0500 11/14/00, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>Please remember that if the original message has a Reply-To: already,
>Mailman will not overwrite that, even if "explicit reply-to" is set.

I know we don't want to change this for 2.0, but IMHO, if we're going
to coerce reply-to, Mailman SHOULD. I've seen other systems that
rewrite an existing reply-to to x-reply-to, which at least keeps the
context. As the official "let the user decide" bigot here on the list
(grin), I do think that if you choose to coerce reply-to, it ought to
be unilateral and consistent. Either that, or always leave it to the
user and not coerce stuff...  I think doing it "except when..."
doesn't really add anything useful, but opens it to confusion...

The way I see it, if a user is on a list where reply-to is set to the
list (or some explicit value), their expectation is that it's going
to be set. Not set unless someone else sets it first. So from the
user expectation view, if it's going to be coerced, coerce it
unconditionally....

FWIW...
--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)