[Mailman-Users] Re: [demime-l] Demime is what's killing my archives!!!

Nick Simicich njs at scifi.squawk.com
Sun Nov 12 16:01:09 CET 2000

At 11:15 PM 11/10/2000 -0500, Bob Puff at NLE wrote:

>Ok, after a lot of messing around this evening, I found the source of the
problem of why my mailman archives stopped working.  The problems started
exactly when I added DEMIME!

>First, here's my ALIAS file line that calls demime (version 0.97c):
>
>testlist: "|/home/mailman/mail/demime.pl - |/home/mailman/mail/wrapper
post testlist"

Try the following:

testlist: "|/home/mailman/mail/demime.pl testlist-post"
testlist-post: "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post testlist"

Some mailers, like postfix, will allow you to protect aliases from being
sent to off machine.  If you have that capability, you can protect
testlist-post from being sent to.

Yes, I remove the from line.  In fact, I always reformat the headers.
Passing the mesage back through the MTA will put the from line back.

>Now here's what I discovered, after analyzing the headers of the messages
that worked, and the ones that didn't.

>The very first line of the header normally starts with "From "... This
first line seems to be getting swallowed by demime, even if the message has
no HTML / MIME, or anything that needs attention.

>Here are two messages: the first one is WITHOUT demime, and the second is
WITH demime installed on my "testlist":

>>From bob at nleaudio.com  Fri Nov 10 22:58:44 2000
>Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:01:17 -0500
>From: "Bob Puff at NLE" <bob at nleaudio.com>
>To: testlist at nleaudio.com
>Subject: [Testlist] test
>Sender: testlist-admin at nleaudio.com
>
>test without demime

>Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:03:23 -0500
>From: "Bob Puff at NLE" <bob at nleaudio.com>
>To: testlist at nleaudio.com
>Subject: [Testlist] test 2
>Sender: testlist-admin at nleaudio.com
>
>test 2 with demime

>Note that I also tried a blank demime_junkmail.cf file - no difference.
>As you can see from these messages, Msg #2 has one line missing at the top
compared to message #1.  And apparently, Mailman's html archiver looks for
that, and needs it to work properly.