[Mailman-Users] mailman cron gets uppity

Steve Emmerson steve at unidata.ucar.edu
Thu Nov 9 17:05:49 CET 2000

Jim,

>Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:33:17 -0600
>From: "Jim Fannin" <fanninj at aottsd.uscourts.gov>
>To: <mailman-users at python.org>
>Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] mailman cron gets uppity

> Please explain:  What is CVS, MTA?

CVS stands for Concurrent Versions System.  Here's the first paragraph
of its manual page:

       CVS is a version control system, which allows you to keep
       old versions of files (usually source code), keep a log of
       who, when, and why changes occurred, etc., like RCS or SCCS.
       Unlike the simpler systems, CVS does not just operate on one
       file at a time or one directory at a time, but operates on
       hierarchical collections of directories consisting of version
       controlled files.  CVS helps to manage releases and to control
       the concurrent editing of source files among multiple authors.
       CVS allows triggers to enable/log/control various operations and
       works well over a wide area network.

Many places (e.g. us, sourceforge.net) use it as the basis for software
versioning control.  For further information see <http://www.cvshome.org>.

MTA stands for Mail Transport Agent, which is the thing that your Mail
User Agent (MUA -- which you use to read the mail) uses to actually send
and receive the mail.  Mailman also uses an MTA to send and receive
mailing-list mail.  Examples of an MTA are "sendmail" and "exim".

> Also, I inherited the administration of our Mailman lists, and thus am not
> intimately familiar with the installation and inner workings.  As a result,
> I am not sure what version we are running nor exactly how to find out.  We
> are running 11 lists ranging in size from about 12 to 350 users.  Everything
> seems to be running fine.  Some guidance on how to find out what version we
> are running would also be appreciated.

On my system I can execute the following:

    $ /opt/mailman/bin/version
    Using Mailman version 2.0rc1

Regards,