[Mailman-Users] need help with web interface bug

Dan Simoes dans at audifans.com
Wed Nov 8 23:02:35 CET 2000

I recently switched my site from majordomo to mailman.  Everything has
been going great, until today, when I noticed that in some cases, users
cannot change their options through the web interface.

The error presented is the usual "Bug in Mailman..." and looks like
others that have been reported here (included below).

What is odd is that it will work fine for some lists, and not for
others.

I would really appreciate some help on this one - I have compared file
permissions, etc and nothing is looking very obvious, but I am not that
familiar with the inner workings.

The only thing I could think of doing was upgrading from beta5 to beta6
(done, did not fix the problem) and deleting the bad lists and
recreating them (haven't done that yet).

Thanks for any pointers, I've already checked the archives back a few
months.

| Dan |
--

Bug in Mailman version 2.0beta6

We're sorry, we hit a bug!

If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy
of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
happened. Thanks!

Traceback:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/home/mailman/scripts/driver", line 96, in run_main
    main()
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/handle_opts.py", line 85, in main
    process_form(mlist, user, doc)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/handle_opts.py", line 247, in
process_form
    mlist.ConfirmUserPassword(user, form['digpw'].value)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/SecurityManager.py", line 155, in
ConfirmUserPassword
    if self.ValidAdminPassword(pw):
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/SecurityManager.py", line 65, in
ValidAdminPassword
    return type(pw) == StringType and \
TypeError: argument 2: expected string without null bytes, string found

Python information:

     Variable
                                 Value
 sys.version
                 1.5.2 (#2, Aug 25 2000, 03:03:24) [GCC 2.8.1]
 sys.executable
                 /usr/local/bin/python
 sys.prefix
                 /usr/local