[Mailman-Users] Configure smrsh question...

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at west.sun.com
Mon Nov 6 22:26:55 CET 2000

pray4sno wrote:

> I've just installed Mailman on my box and have a small question relating
> to the "sh: wrapper not available for sendmail programs" error.  In the
> docu it states:
>
> "You need to configure smrsh by creating a symbolic link from the mail
> wrapper ($prefix/mail/wrapper) to the directory identifying executables
> allowed to run under smrsh."
>
> I'm not totally clear on what this means...  Does this mean that I need
> to:
>
> ln -s /home/mailman/mail/wrapper /etc/smrsh/wrapper
>
> or
>
> ln -s /etc/smrsh /home/mailman/mail/wrapper
>
> ??
>
> I'm sure that this is a moronic question, I'm just totally unfamiliar with
> smrsh.

I've never used smrsh, but I can tell you that it makes no sense to link an
executable program to a directory, or vice versa.  If you've installed mailman,
/home/mailman/mail/wrapper is an executable, so the only reasonable thing
to do is to have a link *to* that file appear in some smrsh directory.
(it seems to me that the wording is not the best).

The wording may be trying to reflect the order of args in the command;
if you want a link to appear in /etc/smrsh, named 'wrapper', and have that
link point to /home/mailman/mail/wrapper (which is how I'd describe what
I think you need), you'd use

ln -s /home/mailman/mail/wrapper /etc/smrsh/wrapper

which one might read as "make a link from /home/mailman/mail/wrapper to /etc/smrsh/wrapper",
but really it does the opposite; the ln command takes "src dest" arguments to be
just like cp or mv.  But really, the link points from the otherwise-nonexistent
/etc/smrsh/wrapper to the already-present /home/mailman/mail/wrapper, so the
link direction is pretty unambiguous.