[Mailman-Users] member_posting_only=yes problem

Johnny Fuerst johnny at cathat.net
Sat Nov 4 20:05:21 CET 2000

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 10:12:14AM -0800, Mike Noyes wrote:
> At 12:11 PM 11/4/00 -0600, Johnny Fuerst wrote:
> >On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 09:35:25AM -0800, Mike Noyes wrote:
> > > I'm the admin for a devel list on SourceForge. I have a
> > > member of my list that has different From and Reply-To
> > > addresses. He is subscribed with his Reply-To address. When
> > > I set member_posting_only=yes all of his messages are held
> > > for approval. Is there any way around this problem?
> >
> >I am only running Mailman 1.1, but what I think is the solution should be
> >the same. On the admin web screen, under privacy options for the list in
> >question, there is an option which says allow posters not on list, or
> >something like that. This is where you can add the guy's real address.
>
> First, thanks for the response.
>
> Is the quoted text below the setting you're referring to? If so, it adds
> his From address to the recipient list. He was not happy when I tried this.
> Is there another way to achieve the same thing?

I don't know of another way. But, I can see this as being somthing that
maybe should be in a newer version of mailman. Allowing to tie additional
address (aliases) for one member of a list. Because with the option we've
discussed, the added member can pretty much have free reign to posting to
that list, at least in my understanding, as the actual option is not for
differing addresses, but appears to be intended for allowing people to
simply post, with or without the admin's approval -which, in some cases,
could turn out to be bad.

> >Addresses of members accepted for posting to this list without implicit
> >approval requirement. (See "Restrict ... to list members" for whether or
> >not this is in addition to allowing posting by list members
>
> --
> Mike Noyes
> mhnoyes at users.sourceforge.net
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/leaf

On Behalf Of:
Johnny Fuerst, Governor ................ governor at cathat.net
Opinions stated in this message are mine and mine alone, and
do not necessarily represent those of my ISP/employer!
.period.
          'I Desire Compassion, and not a Sacrifice.'
                       'La Vida E Bella'

Random Quote:
You will be Told about it Tomorrow.  Go Home and Prepare Thyself.
johnny at cathat.net