[Mailman-Users] Sendmail permissions

Ted Cabeen secabeen at pobox.com
Tue May 30 20:51:56 CEST 2000

In message <20000529104045.F16779 at aphid.net>, Chuck D writes:
>I am running sendmail as my MTA. Currently I have my mailman aliases in
>/etc/mail/mailman-aliases. This file has to be owned by root otherwise
>sendmail gives permission denied. I assume this is sendmail being
>paranoid rather than actually permission denied, because even if I
>change owners to mail or give world write permissions it still gives the
>error.

Here are the permissions on my mailman-owned alias file.  This is in
~mailman/aliases.  You need to be sure that there are no group-write
directories all the way down.  Mailman works fine as long as the
subdirectories under ~mailman are group-write.  ~mailman itself can be 755.
drwxr-sr-x   2 mailman  mailman      512 Oct 21  1999 ./
drwxr-sr-x  16 root     mailman      512 Oct 21  1999 ../
-rw-r--r--   1 mailman  mailman    83766 May 22 14:52 aliases
-rw-r--r--   1 root     mailman     4096 May 22 14:52 aliases.dir
-rw-r--r--   1 root     mailman   164864 May 22 14:52 aliases.pag

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen         secabeen at pobox.com
Check Website or finger for PGP/GPG Public Key           secabeen at uchicago.edu