[Mailman-Users] updating aliases file.

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Wed May 3 02:35:03 CEST 2000

On Tue, 2 May 2000 15:28:11 +0200 (MES)
Gerhard Gonter <gonter at maestria.wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:

> According to Krist van Besien:
>> When you create a new list using newlist the /etc/aliases file is
>> not automatically updated. I understand that this used to be done
>> in previous versions, but that the alias file update is currently
>> broken.

> I don't think this is "broken", it's simply not done any more
> because it's not necessarily a good idea for everyone.  Some
> sites, do not use /etc/aliases or have completely different
> requirements.  E.g. we are updating our aliases from a central
> database.

Outside of the problems with various formats of alias files,
requirements to run newaliases or not, widely variant desired
locations of said alias files, etc which make writing an actual
portable and correct tool difficult (yes, and RC file would handle,
and would also be overkill) there are also quite a few of us who
simply don't have alias files, and therefore don't have anything
that needs updating.  In my case my MTA (Exim) is configured as per
Nigel's HOWTO to look for the various directories and files
indicating that a list exists, and thereby generated all the
appropriate addresses and actions.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...