[Mailman-Users] Setting up read-only list

Jim Hebert jim at cosource.com
Mon Mar 27 09:16:16 CEST 2000

Hmm, perhaps the answer is to do a hybrid of a "roll your own" and a
mailman thing?

By that I mean, let mailman manage your subscriber list, blah blah blah,
but write a few lines of python code which will simply lookup the
subscriber list for a given mailman list and do a massmail to them. I'm
not a mailman source hacker, so I have no idea, but one would assume that
the high level tools are already built in the source of such an
OO-designed thing, such that you'd be able to do something like

<bcc list> = <lookup the subscribers of "foobiz">

Then you stick that in cron. You can still post via the "real" list
mechanism and approve it, which is all good for things like administrivia
or announcing the birth of your son.

Now, if you were planning on maintaining a mailing list archive (like
pipermail or something) this script would need to also file a copy in the
mbox file for the list, using whatever calls the normal mailman delivery
code does.

jim
showing that he's a functional programmer trying to make amends =)

PS Such a contraption would be a great thing for someone to write and
include in Mailman as a "contrib" item of some sort...