[Mailman-Users] confidentiality features

mjinks at bsd.uchicago.edu mjinks at bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 22 00:45:03 CET 2000

Disclaimer: I may just need to RTFM.  I'd look at the mailing list archives
but they don't appear to be searchable.  Please redirect me if these are FAQ's.

I've just set up MailMan for a user here who wants to use it for hosting a
list for survivors of sexual abuse.  So MailMan's return address stripping
feature was very attractive.  But there are some hitches for us.

First of all, in testing it appears that although the "From:" header is
stripped, the "X-Sender:" still comes through, as does the sender's IP
address.  We're in a university, so back-tracing an IP address to a nearby
individual is not that tough, and could certainly be seen as a gap for
confidentiality.  Could X-Sender and IP also be stripped?  Have I missed some
detail?

On the other hand, this user wants to be able to peek behind the curtain in
those cases where confidentiality needs to be violated -- for example if a
poster to the list claims to be suicidal or otherwise seems dangerous.  I
showed the user that he'd see the real return address if we set the list to
be moderated, but he didn't like that idea.  Any clues?  Can identifying
information be made available, say, to the list owner only?

TIA,
-m
Michael Jinks, IB                                  Fear technology.
Enterprise Systems Engineer
University of Chicago/Biological Sciences Division