[Mailman-Users] virtual domain support...

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Thu Jun 29 16:21:28 CEST 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, German Poo Caaman~o wrote:

> Kendrick Vargas wrote:
> > I was wondering if someone could point me to some documentation on how to
> > get Mailman to specify a specific "From: " domain when masking the real
> > sender?
> >
> > I have anonymous_list set to "Yes", and I have host_name set to
> > "domainthatiwant.com" ... When I send mail to the list, the From address
> > gets set to "listname-admin at machinesdomain.com". I would really like to be
> > able to control what the From address gets set to, but I can't find it
> > anywhere. I've changed the delivery mode from SMTPDirect to Sendmail and
> > back, but nothing. I've tried playing with Sendmails generics
> > table... nothing. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Sendmail use FQDN.  If you have a CNAME for domainthatitwant.com,
> sendmail will replace it with machinesdomain.com.
>
> For your mailing lists you can set only MX as:
> domainthatitwant.com	MX	10 machinesdomain.com
>
> anything else.

The machine in question acts as MX for several domains. I'd like to be
able to set the "From: " domain to act as any of these. Majordomo can do
it, but I'd really like to get away from Majordomo because I like
Mailman's anonymous_list option (it's being begged for right now).

The web page admin.cgi says this about the host_name variable:

"The host_name is the preferred name for email to mailman-related
addresses on this host, and generally should be the mail host's exchanger
address, if any. This setting can be useful for selecting among
alternative names of a host that has multiple addresses."

The documentation on the website says this:

"For multi-home hosts (systems that have different aliases) this would be
the value that Mailman uses to identify itself. You should not attempt to
modify this value without consulting your system administrator or Mailman
may cease to work."

I am just guessing (because none of the documentation I've seen is
particularly clear on anything) that this is supposed to do what I want to
do, but it doesn't. Is this a bug? Is this the same as majordomo's
"$whereami" variable?
			-peace