[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] b3 not working anymore?

Gergely Madarasz gorgo at caesar.elte.hu
Thu Jun 29 14:22:59 CEST 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     RK> I'm running the latest cvs (just updated again this morning
>     RK> just to be sure) but their doesn't seem to be any more posts
>     RK> being send out on the list??  they all arrive on the approval
>     RK> page, but once approved they vanish into nothing... I'm not
>     RK> sure how long this has been going on though...  anybody else
>     RK> having the same trouble?
>
> Take a look in the qfiles directory.  Do you see a bunch of files with
> really long names and extensions .msg and .db?  You must reload the
> crontab.in file to get all the new cron scripts running at the right
> intervals.  Of primary importance is qrunner which clears the messages
> waiting in qfiles.
>
> This is documented in the UPGRADING file, which I know no one will
> read.  Be prepared to answer this question over and over again. ;)

Does this mean that message delivery is not handled at all when the
incoming mail is passed to mailman, and every message needs to wait for a
cronjob to run ?
I found the method used in 1.1 (try to deliver immediatelly, if it fails,
the cronjob will handle it) much more appropriate, even though it often
resulted in mail duplication (if the mail was handled the same time when
the cronjob was run, it was sometimes delivered by both methods), which
could have been fixed by some better locking mechanisom...

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo at caesar.elte.hu         gorgo at linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/