[Mailman-Users] Extremely High Membership lists

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Thu Jun 29 00:49:15 CEST 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:15:17 -0400
Gary Wilson <wilsong at sergievsky.cpmc.columbia.edu> wrote:

> From: "J C Lawrence" <claw at cp.net>

>> I would strongly recommend using either Postfix or Qmail.  You
>> are going to have to spend some time tuning your MTA and how you
>> handle your mail spools (batter-backed RAM disks are not a Bad
>> Idea).  Running and maintaining a high volume mail server
>> requires particular skills and care no matter the choice of MTA.

> What about exim, the default MTA for Debian?

As I've written previously to this list, I'm a big Exim fan.  If you
check the headers of this message, and any others I write, you'll
note Exim Received: headers.

Exim is the installed MTA on all my boxs, and is the MTA I usually
recommend for desktop, workstation, and other general use.  However,
while Exim is a superb performer and has an excellent security
history, it is also a monolithic server and thus doesn't have
Postfix/QMail's highly compartmentalised and careful security model.
Further, while the performance curves for Exim and Postfix/QMail can
be made remarkably similar, in __*general*__ without careful tuning
and when under high loads, especially very large spools, my
experience is that Postfix/QMail are going to sustain and perform
better than Exim.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...