[Mailman-Users] If you encounter an error instaling mailman 2.0beta2 , send an error report to ...

Thomas Dunne (Sys. Admin.) dunne at netlab.wild.de
Wed Jun 28 01:06:55 CEST 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, David Smead wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:03:38 -0700 (PDT)
> From: David Smead <smead at amplepower.com>
> To: "Thomas Dunne (Sys. Admin.)" <dunne at netlab.wild.de>
> Cc: mailman-users at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] If you encounter an error instaling mailman 2.0beta2 , send an error report to ...
>
> Thomas,
>
> You're using an old version of Python.  Upgrade!

yeah, i noticed, so then I ditched the debian package and compiled ver. 1.5.2
straight from python.org

still got a similar error based in the getattr() method using three parameters
instead of two

I don't know why, never did python before, so I hacked the approx. 12 occurances
of 3-param calls of getattr(obj,key,defaultvalue)

and changed them all into:

   val = defaultvalue
   if obj.dict.has_key(key):
     val=getattr(obj,key)

(or something similar)

now I've run into a new problem that occurs in Handlers/SMTPDirect.py
the sha object is imported and %&#$@ my newly compiled python doesn't know
anything about it...

luckily sha is only used in line 100 (or so) to generate a unique filename...
so I'm hacking that with another method

import os,time
filebase= time.strftime("%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-"+str(os.getpid()),time.localtime(time.time()))

hope it works...

I *know* something must be wrong on my machine and the package must be fine, but
don't have the time to wait...

greetings,
 tom

> Sincerely,
>
> David Smead
> http://www.amplepower.com.
> http://www.ampletech.com.
>
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Thomas Dunne (Sys. Admin.) wrote:
>
> > ran into a bug, thought you'd like to know...
> >
> > doing STEP 6 in the file INSTALL from mailman 2.0beta2
> >
> > mailman at once:/home/mailman>./bin/newlist testlist
> > Enter the email of the person running the list: dunne at dpunkt.de
> > Initial testlist password:
> >
> > Entry for aliases file:
> >
> > ## testlist mailing list
> > ## created: 27-Jun-2000 mailman
> > testlist:                "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post testlist"
> > testlist-admin:          "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner testlist"
> > testlist-request:        "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd testlist"
> > testlist-owner:          testlist-admin
> >
> > Hit enter to continue with testlist owner notification...
> >
> > Traceback (innermost last):
> >   File "./bin/newlist", line 154, in ?
> >     main(sys.argv)
> >   File "./bin/newlist", line 148, in main
> >     HandlerAPI.DeliverToUser(mlist, msg)
> >   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/HandlerAPI.py", line 82, in DeliverToUser
> >     pipeline_delivery(mlist, msg, pipeline)
> >   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/HandlerAPI.py", line 37, in
> > pipeline_delivery
> >     func(mlist, msg)
> >   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Replybot.py", line 37, in process
> >     toadmin = getattr(msg, 'toadmin', 0)
> > TypeError: getattr requires exactly 2 arguments; 3 given
> >

> > greetings,
> >  tom
> >
> > Thomas Dunne
> > dunne at wild.de