[Mailman-Users] "aliases" for subscriber addresses?

Joe Morris morris at unc.edu
Sun Jun 18 03:49:29 CEST 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Eric D. Christensen wrote:

| I have a few subscribers on who have bizarre email systems (mostly Exchange
| and some Mac based systems) that generate a mangled (but valid) From:
| address on their postings (i.e. john.smith at mail1.stupid.exchange.com).
| However John has no clue what his email address looks like on the outside.
| He thinks he's john at exchange.com...

Have you tried adding the following to your
MAILMANHOME/Mailman/mm_cfg.py?  I saw this in the Defaults.py...

- - - - - 8< - - - - - Cut Here - - - - - 8< - - - - -

# When true, mailman will consider user at host.domain to be the same address
# as user at domain.  If set to 0, mailman will consider user at host.domain to
# be the same address as user at Host.DoMain, but different than user at domain.
# Usernames will be case preserved, and host parts of addresses will all be
# lowercased.
SMART_ADDRESS_MATCH = 1

Majordomo used to call it munging the domain.  I think that will take care
of the problem you are talking about.

Joe Morris                http://metalab.unc.edu/morris
Web Systems Manager, ATN            http://help.unc.edu
UNC-Chapel Hill                      http://www.unc.edu