[Mailman-Users] administration in IE 5 for the Mac is difficult

Ted Cabeen secabeen at pobox.com
Mon Jun 12 20:08:54 CEST 2000

In message <p04310109b56985c7f756@[209.239.169.197]>, Chuq Von Rospach writes:
>At 1:41 PM -0400 6/11/2000, Brett Dikeman wrote:
>>...because every time you click on Membership, or a new sub-section
>>of the membership list, you're asked for the list password again,
>>and it puts you on the first sub-section of the list, not the one
>>you asked for.
>>
>>I remember there being cookie problems with earlier versions of IE,
>>and earlier versions of Mailman.  Is this bug STILL around?
>
>I'm running IE for the Mac 5, and I noticed this a couple of times,
>but not since upgrading to the most recent CVS versions.

I see this on all platforms.  What happens is that mailman issues a cookie for
the URL you visit, even if you use a shortened version of it.
ie if you use http://lists/mailman/.../members instead of
http:// lists.uchicago.edu/mailman/.../members the cookie will have to be
reissued when you use the full URL, and the password prompt screen doesn't
preserve options to the members URL when you're authenticated.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen         secabeen at pobox.com
Check Website or finger for PGP/GPG Public Key           secabeen at uchicago.edu