[Mailman-Users] Anonymous posting

Fred Hicks iago at iago.net
Sun Jun 11 20:06:10 CEST 2000

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

> OK, xxxlist-anonymous...
>
> >   Subscribe the first list to the second list.  Make sure your second list
> >   does not send out monthly password reminders.
> >

> I understand part B here, but I'm not sure about A.  Wouldn't
> subscribing xxxlist to xxxlist-anon mean that members who signed up for
> xxxlist-anon would only get the anonymous posts?  Or is that the point?
>
> Or am I just being obtuse?

  xxxlist-anon wouldn't have any subscribers other than the main list;
  it's a posting tool more than a mailing list.

  If you wanted to restrict postings to xxxlist-anon to people subscribed
  to it, they'd subscribe to both lists, but they'd have the option for
  'don't send me mail even though i'm subscribed' enabled for xxxlist-anon.

  Clunky, but the best you can do without writing an anonymizing agent (script)
  that preprocessed posts sent to a certain alias before forwarding them
  on to the 'real' list.