[Mailman-Users] A little Weird

Phillip Porch root at theporch.com
Sun Jun 4 14:21:20 CEST 2000

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Mel Sojka wrote:

> Subject: [Mailman-Users] A little Weird
>
> Folks: I am running mailman 1.0 from the red hat rpm and
> have one list set up as a virtual list. This list works
> great, but it seems that I can't add another list. I get the
> below when I send in the confirmation. I do have everything
> in the /etc/aliases and of course the wrapper link in
> /etc/smrsh. Any suggestions?
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 553 mail.nwla.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
> problem?)
> 554 <snake-request at mail.nwla.com>... Local configuration
> error

This is a mailer configuration problem. The problem is that machine
that is receiving the email doesn't recognize that it is mail.nwla.com. It
uses the DNS to find the MX host for nwla.com which is mail.nwla.com but
that is not a name that that machine "knows" as itself.

The below text is fromt he sendmail FAQ on www.sendmail.org

Subject: Q4.5 -- How can I solve "MX list for hostname points back to hostname"
and "config error: mail loops back to myself" messages?
Date: January 17, 1997
Updated: May 8, 2000
I'm getting these error messages:
	553 MX list for domain.net points back to relay.domain.net
	554 <user at domain.net>... Local configuration error

How can I solve this problem?
You have asked mail to a domain (e.g., domain.net) to be forwarded to a specific
host (in this case, relay.domain.net) by using an MX record, but the relay
machine doesn't recognize itself as domain.net. Add domain.net to
/etc/mail/local-host-names [known as /etc/sendmail.cw prior to version 8.10] (if
you are using FEATURE(`use_cw_file')) or add "Cw domain.net" to your
configuration file.
There are a couple of additional cases where you don't actually want local
delivery, and thus adding domain.net to class w is not the right fix:
  When relay.domain.net should just be acting as a forwarder, e.g. a
  firewall/gateway box. The proper fix could be to set up a mailertable entry
  for domain.net.
  When relay.domain.net is a secondary (etc.) MX, and the MX mistakenly points
  to a CNAME or other "non-canonical" name [this gives "config error: mail loops
  back to me (MX problem?)"]. The proper fix is to point the MX at the actual
  name, a "work-around" to add the MX target to class w.
IMPORTANT: When making changes to your configuration file, be sure you kill and
restart the sendmail daemon (for any change in the configuration, not just this
one):
	kill -HUP `head -1 /var/run/sendmail.pid`

--
Phillip P. Porch <root at sco.theporch.com>  NIC:PP1573     finger for
http://www.theporch.com  UTM - 16 514546E 3994565N          PGP key