[Mailman-Users] Re: Feature Request -- Again

cblist at cityb.net cblist at cityb.net
Fri Jun 2 18:33:50 CEST 2000

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 08:09:29AM -0700, David Topping wrote:
> > PLEASE! Please! please! consider changing Mailman so that it will at
> > least keep and display full email addresses complete with the sender's
> > name as in "Richard Pyne <rpyne at kinfolk.org>" instead of just
> > "rpyne at kinfolk.org"
>
> I'm a lurker, considering migrating from Listproc to doing an installation of
> Mailman on our dedicated server, but until this sort of functionality is added,
> there's no way we'll even consider it. I rely on the text-based subscriber files for a
> lot of my user support and although Web features are nice, they should be in
> *addition* to powerful, efficient, text-only options for the managers/owners of lists.

Just to clear up a misconception... there _are_ "powerful, efficent,
text-only" options in mailman... in fact, some significant functionality is
_only_ available from the command line.

Several things that you can do from the command line that can't be done
from the web interface:

* mass-unsubscribe (the subject of this thread)
* search for a list member across all lists
* mass-subscribe digest members (you can mass-subscribe regular members
  from the web interface)

All of the list configuration information and subscriber lists are kept in
db files, not flat text files, but the db files are nearly as easy to
manipulate... you can even use bin/withlist to import the list object into
the python interpreter, which lets you do some very interesting things...

--
Chris Brown, suffering sysadmin...